Friday 5 July 2013

Is he or has he gone?



Dear Bill.

Not a great deal to report I'm afraid from the starboard porthole on Nb Dulwich Dishwasher.

I read a while ago in the esteemed organ of the CaRT inner sanctum that Robin Evans was leaving the Canal and River Trust. As is usual for someone holding such high office. Plus if you believe all the blurb. He was single handedly responsible in leading the transition of the old British Waterways into a bright new future as a charity. (Keep your head down there are flying pigs around) I would have expected that there would have been some sort of fanfare to mark the end of his decade (it seems much longer) in charge. If there has been such an event I have missed it. Now their is speculation on Narrowboat World that he is going to get an award. It's the DCM known to one and all as a 'Don't Come Monday!' I thought it might be an OBE (Other Buggers Efforts) myself.

The jungle drums are saying that there is new bod arrived at CaRT inner sanctum. He could well be arriving by train, assuming all is well from his previous employment. There was a postscript added to the message. There was something on Narrowboat World to the effect. Did you know that boaters have named the CaRT office at Fazeley as Butlin's Fazeley. Now I wonder why that is?


I asked an old friend of mine Rodders who I happened to bump into in the taproom of the 'Plank and Legitt'  who allegedly is one of the few staff left who still occasionally works for the trust. I asked if the workforce were secretly organising a collection to purchase Robin a leaving gift. He gave me an old fashioned look and walked away in a very non committal sort of way shaking his head. He did mumble something about a mud-weight and a length of rope. So, I still don't know.



I bumped into Snopes the secret trustee purely by chance in the snug of the 'Finch and Boat' So I enquired if Robin Evans has actually left for pastures new or is he still around on the periphery of the trust. Perhaps taking on a different role. Snopes was most unhelpful in my endeavour. I think that he may have been sworn to secrecy or subjected to a very nasty Indian burn.

According to Mr Khan at the Canal Street corner shop. He thinks that maybe Robin is now working as a secret paid consultant, because as we are all told a great deal of expertise and knowledge would be otherwise lost. I have to admit he has a point. Its been said time and again that when people working within the inland waterways leave, retire or are made redundant, a great deal of their expert knowledge is lost. Lost because there is no apparent role succession. Is this yet another instance of detriment through succession to the trust from someone leaving. I will reserve judgement in this instance.

I bumped into Snodders in the beer garden of the 'Ragman and Trumpet' Snodders said It would be good to see Robin still leading by example. He was wondering if Robin will come back as a Canal and River Trust volunteer. Snodders said "I'm sure that many boaters would enjoy a day out volunteering with Robin on a dog poo and litter pick. It could be one way of offsetting the lack of role succession and give a chance for his expertise to be utilised once again to best advantage."

I'm expecting the Memsahib back any time soon. She has gone to Khan's shop in search of a brand of French wine that was recommended on one of those TV food and drink programs. Apparently some foreign fellow called Raymond Plonk. She said because of Plonks Mexican accent, it sounded like Château "goût méchant dans la bouche" With a bit of luck it will help to improve the taste of tonight's dinner. 

Well I must run, toodle pip old boy.



Cap't Bob

"The events depicted in this series of letters are fictitious. Any similarity to any person living or dead is merely coincidental. No person should without the prior permission of the author assume the identity of any character. These letters are a story that could be based on actual events. In certain cases incidents, characters and timelines have been changed for dramatic purposes. Certain characters may be accidental composites, or entirely fictitious. I was helped in my creative endeavour by my friend's telepathic cat named Huxley. Huxley assumes all responsibility for any mistakes and errors."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please put your name to your comment. Comments without a name may automatically be treated as spam and might not be included.

If you do not wish your comment to be published say so in your comment. If you have a tip or sensitive information you’d prefer to share anonymously, you may do so. I will delete the comment after reading.