Wednesday 27 November 2013

Podcast (5) & Smartphone Apps for Boaters (28)

I have written previously about my Apple iPod that I use as a relaxation through entertainment mainly at bedtime or occasionally when I am out walking the dogs. I have found myself chuckling away at a comedy program only to get a few strange looks from people walking the towpath. Now I wear a pair of bright pink ear buds which make it more obvious that I am listening to something and that I have not lost the plot. I find that the iPod is ideal in such situations because of its small size. 

For a bit more background on the ever growing world of podcasts you can read my original posting on Podcasts and Podcasting. Click Here.

So what have I been listening to recently in the digital world of podcasting. This week I am trying out a podcast application on my smartphone. I still prefer to use my iPod via the laptop. But I thought it would be useful to have my favourite podcasts linked to my smartphone.






BeyondPod provides full control over what is being downloaded over your data connection. Update a single feed, feeds in a given category, or all feeds. Download a single podcast, the latest podcasts, or all podcasts for a given feed. Nothing happens without your knowledge. Podcast downloads can be scheduled to occur at a specific time, only when connected to WiFi, or only when the phone is charging.
 

BeyondPod's integrated podcast player support variable playback speed and tracks what podcasts you have listened to. There is also a configurable TiVo style "commercial skip" that lets you easily skip over content that you are not interested in.
 

Smart Playlist automatically generates playlists based on your listening preferences. The Home Screen Widget gives you one-button access to your podcasts, SmartPlay, and SmartPlay updates directly from your phone's Home screen. You can use BeyondPod to discover new podcasts and RSS feeds. BeyondPod includes direct access to the LibriVox.org library with thousands of free audio books.


Who knows maybe you might be able in the future to listen to a podcast with the soft dulcet tones of a dyed in the wool Yorkshire cynic. Who might just wax lyrical about all things with good, bad and indifferent aspects that he comes across as he makes his way along the canal.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please put your name to your comment. Comments without a name may automatically be treated as spam and might not be included.

If you do not wish your comment to be published say so in your comment. If you have a tip or sensitive information you’d prefer to share anonymously, you may do so. I will delete the comment after reading.