Tuesday 29 November 2011

Now is the winter of our discontent.

Richard the third, is a play by Bill Shakeshaft, that contains the famous line “Now is the winter of our discontent”. However, when taken out of context, it is a prophetic passage for the season of the year. No doubt over the next few months until spring arrives, winter will cause us all some discontent. We will all become a little “SAD”  with Seasonal Affective Disorder caused by the reduction in natural sunlight.
Wiki saysSymptoms of SAD may consist of difficulty waking up in the morning, tendency to oversleep and over eat” Other symptoms include “A lack of energy, difficulty concentrating on or completing tasks.
Yes, I think I’m a SAD old curmudgeon. The Memsahib agrees that I am displaying all six of the above symptoms as well.
Wiki saysPeople who experience SAD show symptoms including irritability, social withdrawal, decreased appetite and weight loss.
Yes, I have to agree I am an irritable anti-social old git. The Memsahib concurs that I am displaying the first two of these symptoms as well. So thats eight out of the ten symptoms then.
Wiki saysPeople who experience SAD show an increased sex drive.”
Eight out of the eleven symptoms can’t be bad. I put down my lack of performance in not reaching nine to the anaphrodisiac (Bromide) that they gave us in our tea in the mercantile marine. I'm convinced that its just started working.

So what does sunlight do for us.

While we do need to protect ourselves and manage the amount of exposure to the sun, especially for long periods of time. Our bodies also need exposure to full-spectrum natural light daily. Our bodies need the sunlight regularly to produce vitamin D, which helps our bones to absorb calcium.

So its official then, I am a proper SAD old Victor Meldrew after all.


But then you all knew that anyway!
 


Its not been a good day today, I'm still feeling under the weather and last nights meal has come back for a second viewing.  Might help with ticking the boxes for the decreased appetite and weight loss symptoms. But I do have a  sore neck and shoulders and a lump of lead where my stomach used to be. So I am on the flavoured water treatment, at least until I begin to feel a bit better.


Later….


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please put your name to your comment. Comments without a name may automatically be treated as spam and might not be included.

If you do not wish your comment to be published say so in your comment. If you have a tip or sensitive information you’d prefer to share anonymously, you may do so. I will delete the comment after reading.